Saturday, January 24, 2009

Meeting with the Principal

Yesterday, I had #3s IEP meeting.  You just never know who is going to do the job for the "administration" sign-off.  I have had a counselor come a couple of times and fill in for that role. Anyway, the 6th grade principal was there.  When the signing was all over, she asked me if darling daughter had told me about the little "incident" that took place.  I said "no" and began to sweat thinking the worst and wondering why I HADN'T heard about it from daughter.  So, she goes on to say that there was a little incident in class this week and the "charming child that she is" called a little boy a "retard".  Of course, I was mortified, but the principal made me feel so much better by saying that she owned up to it, admitting exactly what she said and tearing up (the principal promptly embraced her) and was very sorry and repentant.  The principal went on to say that she and #3 are "friends" and that she thinks it was not a big deal for her to confront her.  She said that "she doesn't have favorites, but if she did, 'daughter' would be one of them, but she doesn't have favorites".  She also said she told #3 "You don't have a mean bone in your body," meaning that she just blurted it out without thinking and not to be mean, just to be funny.  Well, she might not know my child very well.  She does have at least one mean bone - everyone does - but she is a good kid and wants to do well both academically and with her behavior.  I came away with the feeling that those at this school seek to handle things in the best way possible and that they are "lovin' my child" and she is "lovin' them back".  I was in admiration for the principal and that when she addressed it, it was over!  She stressed that she didn't want #3 to think that she tattled on her and it was a done deal.  I, however, wanted to bring it up to my children if for no other reason than to just say "Please tell me when you have to see the principal".  So, I covered it without much fanfare and told all three younger ones to come to me before I hear from someone else.  They said they would and I don't think it will happen again.  #3 said she just forgot.  Apparently she didn't think it was as big of a deal as I did, and she knows the principal holds her in high regard.  Not a bad thing, considering I want her to see people in authority as someone to respect and, if possible,build a relationship with.  That will only help her later in her life.   Hopefully, there won't be any other "principal" confrontations to address.  

Every other part of the meeting went well and she is only qualified in "written expression".  Again, this seems to be a family trait.  The verbal skills are great, the vocabulary is great, the intelligence is there, but we just don't get it on paper very well.  Overall, she has surpassed my expectations with all A's for her semester grades.  I am very proud of her effort and the results.  She is doing well.  

No comments: